You may be surprised to know that vehicular accidents or crashes are one of the major causes of brain damage. People involved in minor or major car accidents are often subjected to blows, head bumps, or hard jolts that affect their brains. However, no two brain injuries are the same.
Doctors state that there are many types of brain injuries resulting from car accidents, happening under diverse situations. You can consult the best american fork car accident lawyer to know the six types of grave head injuries caused by car accidents.
Let us evaluate six types of brain injuries caused by car accidents:
- Concussion – It is known as TBI or mild traumatic brain injury, which can lead to painful symptoms and health conditions. A car hitting another vehicle (running or stationary) can cause a concussion when your head hits some hard substance with force.
- Brain Contusion – A contusion is a medical term for a bruise. When you get a blow to the head area, it can cause your brain to clash with the skull. Contusions can heal slowly on their own, but they may often lead to blood clots and bleeding inside the brain. Contusions due to car accidents happen when you bang your head against something or if you shake your head violently due to any forceful impact.
- Skull Fracture – People involved in a car accident can even fracture their skull. If you have been in a car accident, you can be suffering from brain injuries such as concussions and skull fractures. Symptoms like nose bleeding and swelling of the head are signs of a skull fracture.
- Coup- Contrecoup – It means a double injury, which suggests that your brain has been injured in more than one place. A hard blow in the direction of the head can cause multiple injuries. During a car accident, you can hit your head hard enough and that action can shift your brain towards the opposite skull side, and you may develop coup-contrecoup brain damage.
- Acquired Brain Injury – It is also known as a secondary brain injury that may occur even without any real actual head injury. It is a brain injury caused by some other issue in your body, which prevents proper oxygen flow to the brain.
- Brain Penetration – It occurs when your skull breaks and a foreign object enters your brain. Such injuries are very grave and few survive such an accident. Car crashes involving high-speed driving can send metal objects inside the vehicle flying with great force to cause a deadly injury.
Seeking Compensation for a Car Accident Brain Injury
You must be aware of your legal rights in case of a car accident brain injury, especially if it has happened due to the negligence of the other party. You have the full right to claim compensation or file a suit. In several cases, law experts feel that seeking compensation is the only proper way to restart your life and gain control.
Horrific brain injuries due to vehicular accidents include the following:
- Permanent mental or physical disability
- Inability to continue your work or business
- Severe memory loss
- Mounting medical bills
- Irreversible damage to close relationships
- Poor quality of life after the accident
If you live in the American Fork area, you can find reputed local lawyers. The fight for rightful compensation may not be easy, but with a trusted and experienced personal injury lawyer or American Fork car accident lawyer by your side, you can be 100% hopeful. An established lawyer can even help to maximize the amount of your compensation and win the case working in your favor.